Design Director – Events
Salary: Up to 70-75k plus bonus
Location: Hybrid, Central London
Contract Type: Permanent
We are recruiting for our client, an experiential events agency in Central London. They are looking for a London based Design Director who can bring experience and qualities to enhance their already talented team working efficiently across multiple projects. This is a senior role within the management team of the business reporting directly to the Managing Director.
This is a hybrid role, working Tues-Thurs at their office in Central London.
We are looking for someone who
- Was born creative with inquisitive mind and passion for creating unique, ground-breaking, and newsworthy events for the world’s most innovative clients.
- Has their finger on the pulse of production and technology solutions and innovations which help shape creative ideas.
- With a track record of senior leadership within a business driving growth, evolution of ideas and clients.
- Has a high level of detail and delivery.
- Has experience across key experiential markets, both local and global.
- Has a varied knowledge of online and offline creative solutions covering live events, live streams, festivals, brand campaigns and brand summits.
- Has experience in leading and driving creative responses whilst managing and mentoring a wider team.
Wider Business Strategy
- Work closely with the Managing Director to understand the vision and direction of the business and support through client relationship and delivery goals.
- Attend and contribute positively to business strategy meetings.
- Manage recruitment for new roles across the business.
- Input into wider business goals and planning including marketing, training, social presence, insights, and research.
- Actively participate in outward marketing and the business and strengthen your personal profile to help agency fame including but not limited to thought leadership pieces, reports, presentations, and articles.
- Build and grow the design team function actively ideating on how to develop and improve the creative offering.
Core Job Function
- Design – approach the creative process design first, focusing on brand values, consumer trends, cultural movements, wider industry, and environment context – able to articulate and write up a creative brand concept with ease.
- Line management – mentor, line manage and develop the wider design team through clear objectives and training either in person or remotely.
- Presentation skills – confident and clear in presenting ideas with ability to guide clients through creative solutions and ideas.
- Ideation – strong creative ideation skillset with ability to lead on creative concepts and ideas putting pen to paper including concept write ups and mood images to support.
- Creative variety – able to lead on creative concepting from brand identity and positioning, through to event execution ideas, special planning and activations and consumer journeys.
- Industry knowledge – capable of suggesting ideas pushing production, technology and industry advancements using wider knowledge.
- Communication – able to communicate effectively across the board from the team to suppliers and clients to senior management.
- Relationships – able to cultivate positive relationships across the team, suppliers, and clients to ensure productive ways of working and positive working environments.
- Pro-active – able to come armed with solutions and suggestions and lead the way when it comes to pro-actively solving problems, outlining tasks, and delegating.
- Efficient – able to ideate, brainstorm and collate creative responses at speed dealing with multiple briefs at any one time.
- Accountability – able to navigate difficult conversations with ease and strategically brainstorm solutions alongside the MD.
- Resource – able to effectively manage a wider design team managing resource and diaries including identifying and facilitating extra resource where needed.
- Financial acumen – understand event pricing models to ensure creative stays within the realms of possibility including cost, timings, and feasibility.
- New business – keen eye for new business opportunities and works with the Managing Director to grow and develop those opportunities through strategic thinking.
- Personal and business growth – active and skilled at public speaking, written reports and articles to help promote agency fame and personal fame.
- Marketing – assist the MD and any Marketing staff with ideation of outward marketing topics, award entries and supporting insights documents.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills when liaising with clients, suppliers and internally; has the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in person, over the phone and via email, demonstrating diplomacy and good negotiation skills.
- Experience in line managing and mentoring a team.
- Passionate, self-motivated with the ability to show initiative, willing to immerse themselves in the brands they work with deep knowledge of competitors, the market and key client values.
- Energetic, self-motivated, consistently proactive and showing initiative; able to manage their own time well.
- Clear and compelling storytelling.
- A consistently calm and patient approach, able to remain organised and positive when dealing with multiple requests and a changing workload.
- Exceptionally organized and able to manage multiple work streams simultaneously.
- 10 years+ experience as a creative within events delivering projects up to value of 1 million plus.
- 3-5 years+ experience as leader within a business or similar role.
- Proven client and team management, concept creation, thought leadership and outstanding creative direction.
For more information, please contact us by email at:
Job Category: Design Director – Events - London